Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Millennial Epiphany for a Baby Boomer

I sit here watching an episode of T.D. Jakes talk show where Millennials speak and Bishopd Jakes said that we, Boomers, were the trailblazers, trendsetters and go getters. I was born right at the end of the Baby Boom era and have always had a desire to do me.  I started this blog years back and as soon as "life" became all encompassing, what I desired, what I loved and wanted to do became a passing thought.  One of the Millennials spoke about having a job that they literally became ill when they arrived at work.  I have experienced that feeling and sit, today, with a heart monitor and on several different medications.  I am not happy with the direction my life has taken.  I have accomplished many things that make me proud.  I went to school despite the odds.  I have multiple graduate degrees.  I have had success in my career.  I have owned my own business, but yet, I feel there's something missing.  The one thing that I enjoy and love to do more than anything is writing.  I love to sit and write about how I feel, I love to explore topics and discuss the why and how.  What I heard from these young people and from my own 30 year old daughter, is self satisfaction trumps that 9 to 5 that may bring no happiness.  I immediately went to my blog and started typing. I have done the right things all my life.  I went to school, made good grades and chased the American dream.  A dream that I really never fully believed was within my reach.  I am at a crossroads. I'm feeling lost and not quite sure of my purpose. I started this post a few weeks ago.  After chatting briefly with a dear cousin on social media and sharing this site, I realized this post was unpublished. Well, I'm tapping the publish button.  (Update-I'm no longer on a heart monitor. Heart's just fine)

No comments:

Post a Comment