Saturday, December 1, 2012

Finding My Way Back

The last 6 months was a whirlwind for me.  I was sinking and didn't realize it.  The summer ended with the death of my mother in law, a trip and the start of a new job.  I neglected writing the blog because I just got so busy.  The start of this school year was the most stressful I have ever experienced.  I was at my wit's end.  Then, October hit and I hit the wall.  It started with the death of two acquaintances.  They died of weight related illnesses.  This was hard for me because I am a health coach and had reached out to one of them in an attempt to help them shed some pounds.  In the background of my mind, however was the pain I was feeling because in May I lost another dear friend to cancer.  I had not spoke to her in the months prior to her death.  I had talked to her Sept early Oct and had been saying I would call her to check on her.  I kept putting it off and it was getting closer to school being out.  So, I began to say that I would wait until school was out and go see her or perhaps, she and I would go to lunch, if she was up to it like we did every year.  I didn't realize she was as sick as she was.  I had made up my mind to call her as soon as school was out.  School was out May 25th.  My friend died on May 25th.  I found out the day before her funeral.  Her husband said he thought someone else had gotten in touch with me.  I am devastated.  Well, needless to say, before Oct was over I lost two more acquaintances, both were murdered. I spiraled into a depression and didn't even realize it.  I knew I was unraveling at the seams, but didn't know what was wrong.  I was stress eating and before it was over had put on 20 pounds in one month.  I was losing it.  My daughter ask me two weeks ago if I were depressed.   I have suffered from bouts of mild depression before and I guess she recognized the pattern.  I said that I didn't think so because overall things were going well in my life.  She pointed out my behavior and how I was stressing over the deaths and how they had affected me.  It was a light bulb moment.  I knew what I must do to combat the hold of depression.  There is no room for depression when you are enveloped in a blanket of praise and thanksgiving.  I am fighting to find my way back and I am down 6 pounds.  I am concentrating on the blessings I have received and the goodness of the Lord.  I am praying for healing and for God to take away the pain.  I am stronger than any desire to nibble and stress eat.  I worked too hard to lose the weight and cannot go back to where I started.  I stepped on the scale one week ago and was heartbroken at the 190.4 that stared up at me.  I wanted to cry, but that was the battle cry that snapped me completely back.  I have wanted to blog, but didn't have the courage to say what I was thinking or feeling.  Healing for me comes with writing.  This is catharsis.  I am finding my way back and will be stronger as a result.  I am sure I will have more moments, more challenges, but I am so happy to know that God is a comforter. I know that I am blessed beyond my wildest imagination and with the best yet to come, I will always find my way back to that place of praise where He resides.

6 comments:

  1. I JUST READ THIS ,AND THE LORD IS TRYING TO TELL ME SOMETHING,I AM ALSO DEPRESSED AND I AM A STRESS EATER,THERE IS A LOT GOING ON IN MY LIFE ,THAT I THINK ,I JUST CAN'T DEAL WITH ANY MORE,PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND I ALSO WILL PRAY FOR YOU,GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't call it a comeback, huh Ms. Terri!
    I am so inspired by your courage to share ALL of you! I know it's a challenge sometimes to decide just how much personal stuff to include in a blog. But as you can see, that often times is the very thing you need to share in order to heal yourself and others! I can't wait for us to finally meet...in due time!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will be times we will fall living in this body of flesh it is always in war with the spirit. We get knocked down but never knocked out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There will be times we will fall living in this body of flesh it is always in war with the spirit. We get knocked down but never knocked out!!!

    ReplyDelete